A report issued by the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) showed the escalation of Israeli violations against Palestinian civilians in their occupied territories during 11-17 August, 2015.
The report shows that Israeli Occupation Authorities (IOA) demolished 63 houses and other structures last week alone, saying that "demolitions made 132 people homeless, including 82 children, accounting for a quarter of the displacement from demolitions in 2015 and marking the highest number of people rendered homeless from demolitions in nearly three years".
The report said that since the beginning of the year, the IOA has demolished at least 356 buildings, 81 of which are funded by international aid. They occurred in Area C, which is controlled by the IOA and which is more than 60 percent of the West Bank area.
The Coordinator for Humanitarian and UN Development Activities for the Occupied Palestinian Territory, Robert Piper, said that “These demolitions are occurring in parallel with settlement expansion,”
He explained: "The relocation plan for these communities would effectively remove Palestinian presence in and around the planned E1 settlement project. This project anticipates the construction of thousands of new Israeli housing units in the West Bank on the outskirts of Jerusalem."
Piper clarified that Israel is aiming to relocate 7,000 of the Bedouin residents in these area to the Jordan Valley which is considered by the UN and human rights defenders a forced displacement.
The UN said that on Monday alone, the IOA demolished homes, makeshift accommodations, and tents of 78 Palestinians including 49 children.
Director of UNRWA operations in the West Bank Felipe Sanchez remarked: "Many of these refugee families have now been displaced four times in the last four years.”
In a joint statement, 31 international organisations -including Oxfam and Amnesty International and HRW- on Friday slammed the surge in demolitions, urging world leaders to take urgent action to put an end to it.