Hamas Islamic Resistance

Prisoner Al Qeiq enters third month of hunger strike

24 January, 16


On 25th of January, the 33-year-old Palestinian journalist Mohammed Adeeb Al Qeiq entered his third month of hunger strike against his detention in Israeli prisons without trial or charge.

Having begun his hunger strike on Wednesday, 25 November 2015, Al Qeiq was detained 4 days earlier, on Saturday 21st November 2015, when Israeli forces kidnapped him from his house in Ramallah.

Following his kidnapping, he was taken to Beit El settlement and held there for 20 hours. He was then taken to Al Maskoubiya interrogation center in Jerusalem, and then to Al Jalama interrogation center.

According to Al Mezan Center for Human Rights, Al Qeiq was subject to various forms of torture, including mistreatment, humiliation, and the use of stress positions, which entailed sitting in uncomfortable and stressful positions for several hours.

On Wednesday, 25 November 2015, Al Qeiq began a hunger strike. Subjected to interrogation for 25 days, Al Qeiq was then transferred to solitary confinement in Megiddo prison and sentenced to administrative detention for 6 months.

After his health condition deteriorated, he was referred to Al Afoula Hospital. On Tuesday, 12 January 2016, as he had entered his 48th day of hunger strike, Israeli authorities implemented the notorious force-feeding law against Al Qeiq.

Force-feeding has for decades been labeled by the International Red Cross and the United Nations as violation of international law, and as a form of cruel, inhuman and degrading punishment, while the World Medical Association has maintained its view that the forced feeding of hunger strikers is a form of torture and abuse, and constitutes a flagrant violation of international law and internationally accepted standards of medical ethics that is never justified.

As he entered his 3rd month on hunger strike, Al Qeiq declared that he is determined to continue his hunger strike until his freedom or martyrdom.